Ethlie Ann Vare
Author, Journalist, Screenwriter
Author, Screenwriter, Lecturer, Playwright
Ethlie Ann Vare is an author, journalist and screenwriter who has been working in television and publishing for more than 30 years. She is best known for her work on the TV series Gene Roddenberry’s Andromeda, Renegade, and Silk Stalkings, as well as her books Mothers of Invention and Love Addict.
Ethlie began her career as a DJ (the radio kind, not the club kind) and soon transitioned to rock music journalism, writing for Billboard Magazine, Daily Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, among others. Her syndicated newspaper column ROCK ON ran in more than 1200 newspaper worldwide. She also edited the award-winning ROCK Magazine.
In the 1990s, Ethlie finally outgrew the Sunset Strip and moved on to television, first as an on-air personality for the E! Channel and later writing and producing prime-time broadcast series such as Players, Strong Medicine, and the original CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.
Ethlie’s work has been recognized with numerous awards, including a Prism Award commendation for the Andromeda episode “It Makes A Lovely Light,” an American Library Association Award for Mothers of Invention, and a Public Library Award for Adventurous Spirit. She has also been listed in the World Who’s Who of Women since 1991.
She has written several biographies of pop culture figures, including biographies of Ozzy Osbourne and Stevie Nicks which are collectors’ items today, as well as the pop histories Mothers of Invention and Patently Female. Her book Love Addict is a scientific look at behavioral addiction, as well as a memoir about her own addiction and recovery.
She has contributed to top publications including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and ELLE magazine, and lectured at such prestigious colleges as West Point and George Mason University.
Her work is characterized by its intelligence, humor, and sharp insights into the human condition. She is a respected figure in the entertainment industry and her writing continues to be enjoyed by audiences around the world. Her popular Substack about sex and love addiction can be found at www.AffectionDeficitDisorder.
Here is a selection of Vare’s television credits:
- Andromeda (2000-2002) – Co-Producer
- Renegade (1996) – Staff Writer
- Silk Stalkings (1996-1997) – Story Editor
- Players (1997-1998) – Executive Story Editor
- Earth: Final Conflict (1998-1999) – Executive Story Editor
- Jane Doe (2004-2005) – Co-Writer/Consulting Producer
- Adventure Inc. (2002) – Supervising Producer
- Redline (2009) – Writer/Creator
Here is a list of Vare’s book credits:
- Mothers of Invention: From the Bra to the Bomb, Forgotten Women and Their Unforgettable Ideas (1988)
- Patently Female: From AZT to TV Dinners, Women Inventors and Their Breakthrough Ideas (2001)
- Rainbow: The Mythic Life of Judy Garland (1997)
- Diva: Barbra Streisand & the Making of a Superstar (1996)
- Legend: Frank Sinatra & the American Dream (1995)
- Women Inventors and Their Discoveries (1993)
- Adventurous Spirit: A Story About Ellen Swallow Richards (1992)
- Love Addict: Sex, Romance and Other Dangerous Drugs (2011, rev. 2020)
- WOOF! (2023)